Re: Hardware: Dynex DX-M300 USB external modem works OK?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 09:48:53AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Douglas Tutty wrote:

> >>By "Fully Serial Modem" you mean a modem that connects ONLY through a
> >>serial port?
> >>
> >>Thanks a lot for your help.
> >

> >The gold standard by which other lesser modems are compared is the USR
> >(or for a while 3Com) Courier V.Everything external serial.
> >
> >I picked one up on eBay with a warranty and power cube for $49 USD.
> >You can get them with various warranties for less on eBay but since
> >shipping is shipping...  (also the one I bought was in Canada as am I so
> >I didn't have to worry about customs brokerage fees).  Manuals are
> >available on the USR web site (just google for Courier "Command
> >Reference" )
> >
> >New, they go here for $350.
> >
> >Lesser external modems may also work depending on the quality and smarts
> >you want.  It has to have on-board smarts and not mention anything about
> >'winmodem'.  Note: the courier docs also talk about installing drivers
> >but they are not true drivers but an install wizzard thingy that windows
> >needs that linux doesn't.
> >
> >Your best bet when getting any hardware is to get, in writing if need
> >be, assurance that if it doesn't work with your linux you can return it
> >for a full __refund__, not just a store credit.
> >

> On Oct. 18 my ISP, att.net.mx, would no longer connect thru my
> USRobotics 56K External Serial modem.
>
> Discussions with technicians, who insisted on only talking from a M$ OS,
> solved nothing.
>
> My hunch, based on a new "sound" in the dialup process was that they
> added V.92 protocol which the modem would not recognize.

The V.92 negotiation tones take some time.  If it takes too long before
the other modem tries V.90, then your modem will give up.  There's an S
register where you can extend this timeout.  You can also get a V.92
update for the USR if its a Courier.  Remember, USR also makes the
Sportster external serial which is a whole 'nother kettle of brine and
nothing like a Courier.

I'm glad your cheap modem worked but if you (still) have the Courier, you
could try fiddling with it.  It will have better noisy-line fault
tolerance.

Doug.