Re: current practice regarding /etc/rc.boot

* Bill <bill3@uniserve.com> [2006 Dec 12 04:03 -0600]:

> Traditionally, this would have been done in rc.local but that's been
> deprecated and now it seems that /etc/rc.boot/ has been deprecated as
> well.

Perhaps someone considers it "deprecated", but the script itself is
silent on the issue.  Here is /etc/rc.local from my up-to-date Sid
system:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0

> Would someone be so kind as to tell me what the current, preferred
> location for such commands is?

Since rc.local is excuted last and there are times when a custon local
script may need to run earlier, I've simply created my scripts in
/usr/local/etc/init.d and then created symlinks into the /etc/rc.*
directories as needed.  It has worked very well for me.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"