Re: tool to resize partitions on cylinder boundaries?

On 12.12.06 18:03, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> I have a couple of 40 GB drives in a machine whose BIOS only supports
> hard disk drives up to 32 GiB. The motherboard (BIOStar M6TLC)
> manufacturer has confirmed that it is not possible to work around this
> limitation via a BIOS upgrade. Since installing Debian unstable in a
> dual boot arrangement with W98SE I have used the space between 32 GiB
> and 40 GB on each drive for a mirrored array.

> However, cfdisk, fdisk and Partition Magic report problems with the
> first disk:

Look carefully what do they tell you. You may also look at your kernel
report (dmesg|grep hda) of what it says.

The problem is that geometry the partition table was built with can differ
from the geometry hard disk reports.

fdisk usually works with the geometry the partition was build with, unless
it was rebuild, in such case it's afaik taken from kernel (what hdd
reports). in fdisk's expert mode, you may change the geometry manually.

However fdisk is able to display/entry in cylinders or sectors. In the
latter case, you may enter whatever size partitions you like, but fdisk will
in such case re-compute geometry itself :(

> # parted

> Disk /dev/hda: 9693,15,62
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> BIOS cylinder,head,sector geometry: 9693,128,63.  Each cylinder is 4129kB.
> Partition Table: msdos

> # fdisk /dev/hda

> Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

> cfdisk /dev/hda
>
> FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 2: Partition ends in the final
> partial cylind
>                           Press any key to exit cfdisk

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.