Re: dist-upgrade removing current kernel

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 11:24:44AM -0800, Paul Yeatman wrote:
>  I'm perfectly happy with the
> package manager leaving my currently installed kernels alone while
> simultaneously adding newer kernel versions and releases.  If I want to
> remove old kernels at some point, I'll do so explicitely.  Anyone have
> any ideas for me?

there are many ways to do this, but the most intuitive to me is to use
aptitude in the interactive mode and go to each of the currently
installed kernels. you will see them tagged with an 'A' indicating
that is was automatically installed to satisfy some dependency (in the
case of kernels, you have probably installed a kernel meta-package
which depends on the latest kernel image. as a new kernel image is
released, of course, that dependency shifts to the new image and the
'A' kernels are marked for deletion.) So us 'm' to mark them as
manually installed instead of automatically installed. Aptitude will
then keep the package for you. this will come up with each new kernel
image.

Others will likely show you some slick, automatic way to do this, but
that's how I do it.