Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 06:48:32PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 12/7/06, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> >candidate

> >copy

> >upgrades.

> >come

> >> Sound like what I have seen "as usual" while doing dist upgrades (Debian
> >> and Ubuntu). Several apt-get {update|upgrade|dist-upgrade|-f install}
> >> cycles often are needed. Some packages almost always get "stuck", i.e.
> >> cannot be upgraded or prevent other packages to be upgraded. For those I
> >> do apt-get remove and then install.
> >
> >The hard part is to identify the key packages that are blocking all the
> >rest.
>
> Hi Hendrik,
>
> After all you've a updated (as in testing) aptitude, right? Please do:
> aptitude install desktop gnome-desktop if you're using GNOME,
> otherwise use 'desktop kde-desktop' (xfce-desktop will enter testing
> soon).

Yes, I should have thought of using dpkg.  I used aptitude.  Aptitude
has has no problems upgrading itself before.  I figured out about dpkg
when I was having no luck deleting xfractint (dpkg finally did that).
aptitude would comnplain that the xorg transition required getting rid
of /etc/X11R6/bin and that it couldn't figure out how to do that because
xfractint was on record as needing files in that directory.  Telling it
to delete xfractint wasn't good enough.  I had to actually get it
deleted before it would stop complaining.

> Feedback is appreciated.

At present etch has lost net access.  sarge still has it, so I'm
planning to tell etch to use a CD as a package source.  I hope the
program that scans CDs and adds then to the /etc/apt/sources.list file
is in working order.  Then I'll tell it to install a recent kernel and
maybe udev will stop complaining about the kernel version and I can get
/dev/eth* back.

Ah! wait -- there's hope -- it did manage to install a kernel -- it just
hasn't gotten it onto the boot menu yet.  Now there's something easy to
do from the working (as always) sarge system!

-- hendrik