Re: Cannot compile kernel

"0x7a337230" <zerinoster@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7q8z9-22I-19@gated-at.bofh.it...
> On 12/9/06, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Leslie Rhorer" <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>> >I have installed Sarge on an e-machines desktop system, and it's working
>> >very well, but I am having two problems with LAN access.  I'll detail
>> >the
>> >first here, and hopefully someone can help.  The LAN works pretty well
>> >on
>> >the embeded 100M Ethernet controller, but I want to use a 1000M Zyxel
>> >controller.  I installed both the kernel source package (2.4.27) and
>> >Ncurses, but when I try to run make xconfig, it bombs out becasue it
>> >can't
>> >find the wish command.  (Neither can I.)  If  I try to compile
>> >menuconfig,
>> >it bombs saying Ncurses is not installed.  Dpkg says the Ncurses base
>> >and
>> >all implied packages are installed.  If I try to compile the Ethernet
>> >driver, it complains it can't find the kernel source.  How should I
>> >proceed?
>>
>> Oh, by the way, if I try to manage the Kernel from the KDE Control
>> Center,
>> it complains, "No hardware architecture was specified!  Perhaps the
>> Kernel
>> source code is not installed on this system, or the path to the Kernel
>> sources is entered incorrectly."  The displayed path to the Kernel
>> sources
>> is /usr/src/linux.  I have the kernel source in
>> /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.4.27.  The hardware architecture drop-down
>> is
>> blank, and cannot be changed.
>>

> You have to install the development files for ncurses in order to use
> menuconfig. The package is called libncurses5-dev. Always install the
> development package when you're going to compile something.
> Wish is provided by the tk package (apt-cache search tk), then you'll
> have to install the Qt libraries I guess.
> Hope this helps.

Well, I'm closer.  Now I can apparently compile the kernel using xconfig,
but the KDE Control Center still complains it can't manage the kernel, and
the Makefile for the Ethernet drive still bombs complaining it can't find
the kernel sources.  Issuing a uname -r command returns the proper kernel
version (2.4.27-2-386) , but the Makefile bombs.  Here is  the entry into
the Makefile:

VMNS    =       0

OBJS    :=      velocity_main.o velocity_proc.o velocity_wol.o
SRC     =       velocity_main.c velocity_proc.c velocity_wol.c
TARGET  =       velocityget.o

KSP :=  /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build \
        /usr/src/linux-$(shell uname -r) \
        /usr/src/linux-$(shell uname -r | sed 's/-.*//') \
        /usr/src/kernel-headers-$(shell uname -r) \
        /usr/src/kernel-source-$(shell uname -r) \
        /usr/src/linux-$(shell uname -r | sed
's/\([0-9]*\.[0-9]*\)\..*/\1/') \
        /usr/src/linux

ifeq ($(VMNS),1)
OBJS+=velocity_vmns.o
SRC+=velocity_vmns.c
endif

test_dir = $(shell [ -e $(dir)/include/linux ] && echo $(dir))
KSP := $(foreach dir, $(KSP), $(test_dir))

KSRC := $(firstword $(KSP))
ifeq (,$(KSRC))
  $(error Linux kernel source not found)
endif

The script bombs on the last line shown above.  The
/lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/build link does not exist, but a
/lib/modules/2.4.27/build link does, pointing back to
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27 directory.  The directory /usr/src/linux is
empty.  There is no file /usr/src/kernel-headers*, and the directory is
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27, not  /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27-2-386,
which is waht would be returned by /usr/src/kernel-source-$(shell uname -r).
I suspect this is where the trouble lies, but editing the Makefile manually
could get me embroiled in all manner of troubles unless I know exactly what
I am doing, and I don't.