Re: is there a way to convert ntfs to ext or reiser ?

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 10:31:40PM +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
> >
> >On 06.12.06 10:11, Jabka Atu wrote:
> >> Hello , id like to convert my 120 Gb ntfs parttion to ext3 or to
> >> reiserfs (the files are about  1gb each ) .
> >
> >ntfs drivers in linux can read from NTFS partitions. however I don't know
> >about any program that can "convert" the filesystem while preserving the
> >data (maybe programs like partitionmagic able to do that). I think, even
> >such program would advise you backing up the data first.
> >
> >So, you can simply copy/backup the data out, format the FS as
> >ext3/reisersfs
> >and restore them back. However, access rights/restrictions will probably
> >not
> >be preserved. Also, check if the backup is OK, to avoid loosing data.
>

> The issue is that im unable to backup i don't have 100 free space ...
> any way i tries resize and buckup (didn't work).
> ill guess ill upload or start burning.

If you can't make backups you have a more pressing problem than needing
to change a partition from one filesystem to another.  Find anything
that will hold 100 MB (zip disk, USB stick, another computer via ssh
pipe) then tar.bz2 your stuff directly to the medium (you can tunnel it
via ssh to avoid having to have the tar take up space on your system
first).

If you have 100 MB free memory, a UPS, and have followed whatever pagan
rituals are necessary, you could create a ram disk or have /tmp on tmpfs
and store it there while you fitz around with partitions.

Or if you have lots of swap and lots of memory, you could go to
single-user, remove swap (swapoff xxx), and put the output of tar
directly there.

If you have small spots here and there you could split the tar.bz2 up
into small chunks and spread them around, then cat them together later.

Lots of ways to hide 100 MB.

Good luck,

Doug.