Re: Non-printable Bytes in Variable Data solved.

	I finally fixed the problem I was having with the shell
variable in double quotes and my face is a bit red, but not too
red.

	It appears that the output of the cdda2wav file had a tab
preceeding each song title to make it print nice and pretty.  I
successfully removed all the extra stuff in the line but left
things in such a condition as to pass the tab or \t character
along with the text string.  If you echo just $variable without
any double quotes, you get no tabs, just the ASCII text in the
string.  If you put that variable along with another variable as
input to something else, they don't exactly concatenate, but
appear to be separated by a single space.

	Putting the variable in quotes as in "$variablename$
shows the tab as it should in that particular case.  I just
didn't expect to find it there and echoing just the variable
without quotes hid it enough to make things interesting.

	The script I wrote worked until I found a CD with a / in
the song title's name.  It, of course, choked when it tried to
make bladeenc create that file because there was no directory
structure there to allow that particular file name to exist.
What I did was pipe the output of the line through sed as in

|sed 's/\//\-/g' and that seemed to make everything good enough
to use.  The title with the / now has a - instead.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer