./configure - file not found problem

Hi,

Not a Newbie but after trying to find which package contains the 'configure'
script for almost 1 hr   { expecting it to just be there anyway }.

I was attempting to install a source only program , concerning mobile phone
flashing. only to find the file "configure" does not seem to exist.....
Tried as user and root....

Flumuxed as this is a very common command, so I must either be missing
something very basic, or , something really bad has happened in the  deb
tree.

Your advice would be appreciated, especially concerning which package this
comes from.
Linux localhost 2.6.18-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Oct 21 18:36:02 CEST 2006 x86_64
GNU/Linux