Re: Debian install to init 3?

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 20:31 +0200, Ali Jawad wrote:
> I really did not get what you want just a short explanation of run levels
> 0 shutdown
> 1 single user maintenance mode
> 3 multi user CLI mode
> 5 multi user X mode "this one is 4 in SLACK"
> 6 reboot
>
> If you want your system to start into one of the levels above..edit
> /etc/inittab accordingly..a warning ..do not use  0 or 6 since this
> will either shutdown or restart your system once it is loaded.

Debian is not setup to run like that.

	update-rc.d -f gdm remove

That removes the Gnome Display Manager from running (and henceforth X)

If you want Multi-User CLI mode... just make sure SSH is installed. The
create accounts on the machine for the users.

I strenuously object to and strongly discourage the use of telnet, ftp
or rsh (the plain text versions)

In any case you can define 0 or 6 to be full multi-user or what ever you
want. It is just the "well practiced normal procedure" for 0 (shutdown)
and 6(reboot) to be that way. You could have init level "61" if you
defined it properly. There are about 2^64 (maybe more, maybe less) ways
to manage services and applications on startup in any *NIX machine OS...
but that is far more than you asked for.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux