Re: Debian install to init 3?

I really did not get what you want just a short explanation of run levels
0 shutdown
1 single user maintenance mode
3 multi user CLI mode
5 multi user X mode "this one is 4 in SLACK"
6 reboot

If you want your system to start into one of the levels above..edit
/etc/inittab accordingly..a warning ..do not use  0 or 6 since this
will either shutdown or restart your system once it is loaded.

On 12/8/06, Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:
Ishwar Rattan(ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu) is reported to have said:

> I just installed Debian form the binary-1 CD and Internet.
>
> The system used Gdm/Genome by default. How do I make not to start
> X-windowes so that I can up dist-upgrade etc. (I think that it is
> level 3)?

Once in X, do Ctrl-Alt F(1-6).  Login and do the update-upgrade.  Go
back to X by hitting F7.

Wayne

--
This sentence contradicts itself -- no actually it doesn't.
                -- Hofstadter