Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 13:59:01 +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >[...]

[...]

> >3) The location of aptitude's configuration file depends on whether it
> >   is run as root or with "sudo" (unless you change your sudo set_home
> >   configuration). This can lead to inconsistent behavior. "sudo -H"
> >   takes care of this.

[...]

> This is a great list, Florian! I think that it should be included in the
> Debian Reference.

Please feel free to edit it and put it on NewbieDOC or anywhere else
where it might be useful. I am a bit pressed for time right now since I
am switching jobs next February (which involves moving to another
country). I might find time during the winter solstice holidays to expand
the text a little and submit it as a suggested addition to the
documentation.

BTW, I have now checked the changelog and point 3) is actually only
relevant for Sarge since it has been fixed with aptitude 0.3.4-1.

> I normally run "aptitude unmarkauto --schedule-only '~i'" before using
> Aptitude after using Synaptic. Is it still necessary to run "aptitude
> keep-all" too (point 2)?

I think it should not be necessary unless your aptitude remembers
something which it already wanted to do before you ran synaptic. I even
think that the "unmarkauto" command is normally not necessary since
installing with synaptic should not lead to new "auto" marks in
aptitude's package list. If you worry about aptitude that much then you
might as well just set the keep-unused pattern to '~T' and/or uncheck
the "automatically remove unused packages" option. When in doubt, run
"aptitude install -sf", check what it wants to do and smack it over the
head with "keep-all" if you do not like what you see.

--
Regards,
          Florian