Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 11:59:29AM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> Aptitude may go a little 'crazy' or 'run away' when you first start
> using it until you tell it which packages are installe because _you_
> want them there and which are only installed to meet dependancies.
> After this step is done it is remarkably well behaved.

Maybe this is a perlism, but aptitude to me violates the "principle
of least surprise" in this regard.  I asked it to install a simple,
standalone program, but it was not able to do this without "fixing" things
to its own model of consistency, not mine, first.  IMHO it should do this
if necessary, but it should do so when installed, like other well-bahaved
packages with partucular needs.  Some packages install but require some
file in /etc/something to be tweaked before being fully functional.

If it isn't "safe" to use apt-get once aptitide is installed, i.e.,
apt-get conflicts with aptititude, then couldn't this be handled in the
package setup as policy?

Ken
--
Ken Irving, fnkci@uaf.edu