Re: backup archive format saved to disk

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:01:49PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> Thanks Mike,
>
> If I can attempt to summarize a portion of what you said:
>
> 	If the issue is resistance to data block errors, it doesn't
> 	matter if I use a file system or not so I may as well use a file
> 	system then if have difficulty, rip multiple copies of the file
> 	system bit by bit and do majority rules.
>
> 		There's a package (forget the name) that will do this
> 		with files: take multiple damaged copies and make one
> 		good copy if possible.
>

> Does the kernel software-raid in raid1 do this?  Would there be any
> advantage/disadvantage to putting three partitions on the drive and
> setting them up as raid1? (and record the partition table [sfdisk -d]
> separately)?

If the drive electronics fails, for example, or a piece of abrasive
dirt is on the head during a seekm you lose all three partitions.

Better to have one partition on each of three separate drives.

My strategy?

* RAID1 with two drives
* reiserfs on the RAID (although I have been told that reiser has bad
resistance to power failures, I haven't changed yet;  it's wonderfully
resilient to the software crashes I've been experiencing)
* backup by copying everything onto a dismountable hard disk and keeping
it on a shelf
* critical data kept in textual form and checked into monotone, which is
to be sync'ed to monotone repositories elsewhere (still setting this
up).

-- hendrik