Re: Preferred Mirrors for Apt

David Baron:

> ALL the alternatives available are in /etc/apt/sources.list. I do not want to
> delete access to ftp.us.debiian.org. I want the local mirrors to be tried
> first.

There is absolutely no reason to keep several official mirrors in your
sources.list. They all contain the same software (that's why they are
called mirrors). On 'apt-get update', apt will download all package
lists from every mirror, but on 'install' it will only use the first
mirror mentioned in your sources.list anyway.

If your primary mirror is unreliable, pick another one or keep entries
using a different mirror *commented out* in your sources.list and enable
them only when your primary mirror freaks out. Otherwise, you are
abusing bandwidth donated to the Debian project.

And please don't top-post.

J.
--
My clothes aren't just fashion. They're a lifestyle.
[Agree]   [Disagree]