Re: what's the killer app for GNU/Linux systems?

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:02:12AM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:

> Code does NOT inherently *require* licensing or Copyright.  You just
> think it does.

Except that code, like every other creative endeavor gains the benefit
of copyright on its creation.  You must explicitly uncopyright it, or
release it under license which allows free redistribution or
modification, or go one step further and place it into the public domain
(at least in places where such a thing as the public domain exists).

> What would you like me to send you?  A two line BASIC program?
>
> 10 PRINT "HELLO"
> 20 GOTO 10
>
> Look - there you go.  Free code.  No Copyright, no license.  Freely
> distributed.

Actually, you can make a reasonable argument that your code snippet is
in the public domain.  I wager that if you go back far enough you will
find a publication of that code which is old enough to be in the public
domain, or a previous release of it which is public domain.

> I would tell you to do with it what you wish, but that would insinuate
> that you need to follow my wishes.  You don't.  It has no license or
> copyright.  (Many countries call this "Public Domain".)  You may
> incorporate my code into your own works freely without any encumberances
> of any kind.  Enjoy.  Or don't.  Your choice.
>
> Do you get it now?

I think you fail to get it.  Without the statements in your previous
paragraph, I have no right to redistribute or modify and then
redistribute your creative work (not the little code snippet above, but
some original work which you create).

Regards,

-Roberto
--