Re: Odd Gnome behavior

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 22:35 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:41:54 -0800
> Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have run across an oddity in Gnome's behavior when running admin
> > tools from the gui.
> >
> > If I run any of the tools found in the Desktop -> Administration
> > menu, explicitly from that menu, Gnome asks me for the root
> > password.  I enter the root password and it tells me I entered an
> > invalid password. However, if I run any of those same admin tools
> > from the Applications -> Debian -> Apps -> System menu Gnome accepts
> > the root password and they run just fine.
> >
> > Does anyone know what is going on with this?  I do the vast majority
> > of my work from the bash prompt, but on occasion I will want to just
> > look at a setting and will choose to do that from the gui tools.
> > Although this problem is easily worked around I'm stumped as to why
> > this is happening.
> >
> > BTW, this behavior started when I changed the behavior of sudo from
> > the Debian default of not requiring a password to requiring one.
> > I've since reversed that to see if that is responsible for the change
> > in behavior in the gui, but it has made no difference whatsoever.
> >
> > Any clues as to where to look would be appreciated.
> >

> Determine what commands are launched by the menu entries. You can do
> this by right-clicking on a menu entry and choosing "Add this launcher
> to desktop". You then right-click on the icon thus created, choose
> "Properties", then "Launcher" to determine the command. You should then
> be able to account for the observed behaviour.
>
> You can also discover launch commands by searching through the files in
> the /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/menu directories.
>
> --
>
> Liam

Thanks for your reply.  I already knew about the menu entry stuff, and
had taken a look at it.  It all seems to be fine when compared to a
computer that works normally.

I didn't, however, know about the /usr/share/applications
and /usr/share/menu ways of looking at things.  Thanks.  It's too bad I
didn't find anything out of the ordinary there.