Re: Odd Gnome behavior

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:41:54 -0800
Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have run across an oddity in Gnome's behavior when running admin
> tools from the gui.
>
> If I run any of the tools found in the Desktop -> Administration
> menu, explicitly from that menu, Gnome asks me for the root
> password.  I enter the root password and it tells me I entered an
> invalid password. However, if I run any of those same admin tools
> from the Applications -> Debian -> Apps -> System menu Gnome accepts
> the root password and they run just fine.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on with this?  I do the vast majority
> of my work from the bash prompt, but on occasion I will want to just
> look at a setting and will choose to do that from the gui tools.
> Although this problem is easily worked around I'm stumped as to why
> this is happening.
>
> BTW, this behavior started when I changed the behavior of sudo from
> the Debian default of not requiring a password to requiring one.
> I've since reversed that to see if that is responsible for the change
> in behavior in the gui, but it has made no difference whatsoever.
>
> Any clues as to where to look would be appreciated.

Determine what commands are launched by the menu entries. You can do
this by right-clicking on a menu entry and choosing "Add this launcher
to desktop". You then right-click on the icon thus created, choose
"Properties", then "Launcher" to determine the command. You should then
be able to account for the observed behaviour.

You can also discover launch commands by searching through the files in
the /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/menu directories.

--

Liam