Re: Aptitude - Removing Unwanted Holds

Hi Arlie,

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:57:54AM -0800, Arlie Stephens wrote:
> For some bizarre reason, aptitude seems extremely fond of holding
> packages at prior versions. This has resulted in at least one csae of
> my system being afflicted by a known - and fixed - bug.
>
> I use aptitude in its curses based gui mode. I typically do 'u',
> to find out what new versions are available, possibly followed by
> selecting some specific new application I've decided I want - or
> rejecting one of more apps I got by default. Then I do 'g', and get a
> huge list of packages which 'could be upgraded but are being held
> back'. I go through those selecting +, and hit g again.

If you select the 'held back' list title and hit + it will do + to all
of them.

> This kind-of, sort-of works. It is far too manual for my tastes.
> Moreover, it seems as if it doesn't even mention some upgradeable
> packages - unless kdelibs has advanced by 2 versions since Friday,
> fixing a bug that was discussed (as already fixed) on this list on
> Saturday. kdelibs was upgradeable but held today - and I know I'd
> looked specifically at it on Friday, given the problems Iw as trying
> to fix.
>
> I've seen a bunch of mention of aptitude commands that tell it to
> forget various things, but I'm not finding a way to tell it to forget
> all "holds". Is there any simple way to do this?
>
> Second question - has anyone got any idea why it keeps hallucinating
> holds I never requested? I suspect there's something bizarre about the
> (company internal) package repository I'm using, and/or perhaps some
> package I haven't noticed yet is doing something I don't want (perhaps
> using other packaging tools), but I may be completely wrong.

I don't know.  I've never had a package held back (by either the system
or me).

Talk with whoever is responsibile for your company internal package
repository.  Why do you have to use their's?  How is their's made?

Is there a package installed on your system, perhaps one that only
exists on your local repository, that has wiierd dependancies (perhaps
that conflict with versions of packages NOT EQUAL to earlier versions of
packages.

I would suggest you take the packages files for your local repository
and compare them (diff) with the packages files from an official mirror.

Good luck.

Doug.