Re: dual layered DVD's vs single layer etc....

Hi Mike,

In article <[🔎] BAY135-F33AE2370EF62B8EFF8193591D80@phx.gbl> you write:
>Dear Debian people,
>
>This is a pretty dumb question.  But I think it has a little merit.  I
>bought myself a new Benq DVD rewriter and stuffed in my box.  This one can
>handle dual layered DVDs as well as the single ones.
>
>I then realised after nosing around in the computer shop that dual layered
>DVDs have a capacity of 8.5GB c.f. the single layered ones of 4.4GB.

8.5 billion bytes vs. 4.7 billion bytes.

>What a genius this guy is I here you say.
>
>A doubling of storage is what you would expect.
>
>My point is that whereas the Sarge 3.1 r3 release contains 15 CDs, Etch
>comprises 21 CDs......
>
>Or 3 DVDs.....  But of course these are 3 single layer 4.4 GB DVDs.
>
>Once Etch comes out and everyones starts to work on Lenny, then maybe it
>could get to thirty CDs or 4 or 5 DVDs.
>
>Once it gets to that size would dual layered DVD iso images be considered to
>be parked in the repositories?

*maybe*. We had some of this discussion before sarge released, when
there was a chance that we might make sarge fit on a single DL
DVD. See the debian-cd mailing list archives if you'd like to know
more... :-)

Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,
Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I...