Re: how to override printer settings from cups, xpp, ...

We use kprinter (kde's printer tool) for printing. It's a one stop
solution for all applications that support it, ie. selecting 'print',
ctrl-p or whatever will open kprinter's dialog, where one can select the
printer from those available via cups, all printer options that are
supported by cups (like duplex, toner saving mode, 2 pages on one
sheet...) can be selected via a 'properties' button. It has all the
features as M$ plus the additional advantage that it shows only
printers, that are available via their corresponding cups server. All
printer configuration is done once on the computer that's directly
connected to the printer.
we tested this. whatever we choose, printer still prints duplex, long-edge flip. as a default, this is fine, but when you need something special (like short edge, 2 pages per paper), it is not possible.

it seems that the settings on the printer/cups server cannot be changed/overriden by anyone else than cups administrator on the server, or by hand on the printer directly...

any hints?

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net