Re: how to override printer settings from cups, xpp, ...

Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> is there any way how to override printer settings from xpp, lpr or
> another frontend? we are printing through cups server...
>
> what i want to accomplish? currently, any settings i make in, e.g., xpp
> (long/short edge, duplex on/off, number of pages per sheet of paper,
> ...) are ignored and our printers print it according to their settings.
> from windoze clients the print dialog act as expected...
>
> i would be very grateful for any hints how to accomplish this. having to
> move to windoze machine every time i (and my colleagues as well) need to
> print more complex 'layout' is annoying...

We use kprinter (kde's printer tool) for printing. It's a one stop
solution for all applications that support it, ie. selecting 'print',
ctrl-p or whatever will open kprinter's dialog, where one can select the
printer from those available via cups, all printer options that are
supported by cups (like duplex, toner saving mode, 2 pages on one
sheet...) can be selected via a 'properties' button. It has all the
features as M$ plus the additional advantage that it shows only
printers, that are available via their corresponding cups server. All
printer configuration is done once on the computer that's directly
connected to the printer.

If you are using kde, I guess this would be your solution.

There are some applications, notably mozilla and derivatives, that
insist on using their own print system. For configuration of
firefox/iceweasel, thunderbird/icedove see

HTH,
Johannes