Re: How to switch my timezone configure

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 02:02:26PM +0800, Wisilence Seol wrote:

> I select"use UTC" during the installation,and find some problem such as my
> locatime in linux is 8 hours ahead of my bios time(my current real world
> time)
>
> I want to know if I can reconfigure this timezone configure after my
> installation?Can I swith between "use UTC" or "not use UTC" mode?

You should first decide if this is what you want to do.

If you're dual-booting and you need Windows to read localtime from the
bios then the bios should be local time.  That would mean that you will
have to alter the bios twice a year for daylight savings.

I haven't run windows since 3.1 so I don't know if you can tell Windows
that the bios is on UTC or not.

Be very carefull if you choose local time for the bios.  Read all the
documentation you can to ensure you are making an informed decision.  In
the process of changing the bios time around (between local and UTC and
between daylight and normal time), if your OS comes across files that
are newer than the current time there could be problems.  I don't know
about windows but *NIX OSs would have some of their house-keeping cron
jobs (including possibly anacron) go crazy.

Thus, for *NIX, have the bios at UTC and manage local time through the
OS.

You've had replies telling you how to change UTC/local.

Good luck.

Doug.