Re: configuring ppp and lan

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 12:19:15AM -0000, richard@the-place.net wrote:
>>
>> with both up I get
>>
>> Destination    Gateway        Genmask         Flags MSS Windo irtt
>> Iface
>> joiner.mulinoc *              255.255.255.255 UH      0 0        0 ppp0
>> 192.168.133.0  *              255.255.255.0   U       0 0        0 eth1
>> default         192.168.133.1 0.0.0.0         UG      0 0        0 eth1
>>
> Since your wireless router is not connected to the internet, you should
> not use it as a default gateway.  pppd usually does not replace an
> existing default route, but you can add "replacedefaultroute" to
> /etc/ppp/options.

Hmm, that sounded good for a minute.  But I think the problem is that it
is dhclient not pppd that is rewriting the routes, as well as resolv.conf.
 And it does this very frequently.  Both the gprs modem and the AP/router
are dhcp servers, so dhclient is trying to serve two masters if both
interfaces are up.  And the router is the gateway for 192.168.133.x
addresses as seen from my gateway machine.  The ppp0 interface is the
gateway for everything else. so dhclient is writing nonsense.  There must
be a way to configure it to avoid this.  (And to get leases longer than
40sec from the wireless router, too, I hope -- it filled 2GB of log
activity yesterday.  But that is another story.)

Back to the howtos...

--
richard