Some Confusion about a 2.6.5 Kernel with Modules

	This weekend, I installed sarge from a distribution CD
and the network on to a new old system which had previously never
had Linux.  The kernel was 2.4.27-2 and I needed to upgrade that
to 2.6.5 which is what I run on a couple of other Linux boxes.

	This 2.6.5 kernel has a number of modules for audio and
various things and those modules all make without a problem.
After doing  "make modules_install,"  I got /lib/modules/2.6.5
and depmod gave me modules.dep in that directory along with the
subdirectories for all the modules.  What I didn't get is a new
/etc/modules.  I am probably looking in the wrong place, but I
can't even find much documentation as to how that file actually
gets there.  The file, itself, has comments at the top which are
the same wording found in the man page as to what it is used for,
etc.  As an experiment, I renamed /etc/modules to something else
and the new kernel complained about the missing /etc/modules file
so 2.6.5 kernels do need /etc/modules.  The time stamp on the
existing file dates back to the time I installed Debian on the
system which was Saturday.  The modules and directories in
/lib/modules all show a time stamp consistant with the time I
said "make modules_install."  What am I not doing to make a
complete setup for the new kernel?

	Thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer