[Sarge] XFree86 does not start

Hi,

after a recent upgrade, my X server will not start up. Log entries seem
to indicate that X chokes on the Matrox drivers for my G550 DH AGP.

Installing the Matrox drivers was pretty easy, so I figured I'll just
throw away my old stuff and do it again.

My question is: How do I get rid of my old X server? I tried to purge a
number of packages (x-window-system, x-window-sytem-core, xserver-common
and xserver-xfree86), but I get the same error after reinstalling them.

tia,
Thorsten
--
As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours,