Re: Some Confusion about a 2.6.5 Kernel with Modules

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 08:29:56AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	This weekend, I installed sarge from a distribution CD
> and the network on to a new old system which had previously never
> had Linux.  The kernel was 2.4.27-2 and I needed to upgrade that
> to 2.6.5 which is what I run on a couple of other Linux boxes.
>
> 	This 2.6.5 kernel has a number of modules for audio and
> various things and those modules all make without a problem.
> After doing  "make modules_install,"  I got /lib/modules/2.6.5
> and depmod gave me modules.dep in that directory along with the
> subdirectories for all the modules.  What I didn't get is a new
> /etc/modules.  I am probably looking in the wrong place, but I
> can't even find much documentation as to how that file actually
> gets there.  The file, itself, has comments at the top which are
> the same wording found in the man page as to what it is used for,
> etc.  As an experiment, I renamed /etc/modules to something else
> and the new kernel complained about the missing /etc/modules file
> so 2.6.5 kernels do need /etc/modules.  The time stamp on the
> existing file dates back to the time I installed Debian on the
> system which was Saturday.  The modules and directories in
> /lib/modules all show a time stamp consistant with the time I
> said "make modules_install."  What am I not doing to make a
> complete setup for the new kernel?
>
> 	Thanks.

Hi Martin,
There are various things that determine what modules are loaded at boot
time:
- its compiled into the kernel
- its included in /etc/modules
- its loaded by a program like 'discover'
- its loaded by udev
From my recollection, I just added the name of whatever kernel modules I
needed to the /etc/modules file whenever a module was not being loaded.
cheers,
Kev