Re: Apache dying weekly

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 01:23:59PM -0800, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> I'm running 1.3.33-6sarge3, and have been noticing that apache is not
> restarting when the logs are rotated every week. The logrotate script
> doesn't seem to be directly at fault, but I can't understand why it's
> not restarting.
>
> The only thing I can find in the logs is in apache's error.log.1:
>
>     [Sun Nov 26 06:25:51 2006] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
>
> but no explanation about why it isn't coming back up. Ideas? Solutions?

Try editing the logrotate file to do:

/etc/init.d/apache stop; killall -9 apache; /etc/init.d/apache start

I'e found that on occasion apache just doesn't do a good job of
filicide and children are left running around, naked and carefree.

This either happens not at all, often or rarely.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."