Re: Reportbug - Does it work?

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 09:22:51AM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 07:13:34AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> > That would get one response from where I am: we don't support that OS.
> >

> Yes.  I too have had to deal with that.  Whenever that issue comes up, I
> usually just tell them I am running Windows 98, which is the last
> version of Windows with which I am resonably familiar.  The first level
> tech support usually doesn't care since they have a script.  The key is
> to get a phone number for the level 3 or higher tech support.  With my
> two previous ISPs this took about two or three hours of dealing with
> level 1 and level 2 support.  Usually, what they will do is put you on
> hold and go and talk to the next tier themselves.  If you persist, they
> will pass you on and when they pass you on, you can generally ask the
> person for their direct number.

That's the main thing I looked for when I sought an ISP -- I call their
tech support and find out if they choke when I mention I run Linux and
ask them what drivers or kernel modules I need to use their cable modem.
If they don't choke and talk to me in like language I know they're OK.

I settled on dsl.ca as my ISP.  Every time they are taken over ny a
bigger organisation I get to worry for a while.  Currently, I believe
they're called magma.ca, and seem to be aprt of primus.

-- hendrik