Re: Reportbug - Does it work?

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 07:13:34AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> That would get one response from where I am: we don't support that OS.

Yes.  I too have had to deal with that.  Whenever that issue comes up, I
usually just tell them I am running Windows 98, which is the last
version of Windows with which I am resonably familiar.  The first level
tech support usually doesn't care since they have a script.  The key is
to get a phone number for the level 3 or higher tech support.  With my
two previous ISPs this took about two or three hours of dealing with
level 1 and level 2 support.  Usually, what they will do is put you on
hold and go and talk to the next tier themselves.  If you persist, they
will pass you on and when they pass you on, you can generally ask the
person for their direct number.

Generally you know you are at the right level of support when you
mention things like traceroute and routing table and they actually know
what the heck you are talking about.  The downside is that you will
generally end up having to dial long distance since they won't have
toll-free numbers (at least public) into the offices with the higher
level support people.  But I view it as most worthwhile to be able to
call and get an issue resolved in five minutes with someone who knows
what they are doing, rather than spending ten minutes arguing with an
untrained level 1 tech support person that rebooting my machine will in
no way affect the fact that a traceroute shows packets getting through
until it hits the backbone and then getting lost.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez