Re: orientation with respect to tex, auctex, tetex, texlive, etc.

* Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> [061123 03:26]:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:07:51AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> Where can I go for a > basic orientation and for more information
>> on the options which are > available to me?
>
> I have tried out Texlive and I could not compile some of my older
> Tetex documents and some of the things I was used to just did not
> work.  Unfortunately I can't remember the details now. At that time
> I just removed Texlive and went back to Tetex - and everything
> worked as usual.

I made a fresh install of Etch "testing" on a spare machine, then I
installed texlive instead of tetex.

I copied over to the spare machine a complex document of the "article"
class which uses hyperlatex, and I executed "latex".  The document was
processed properly.

I then executed latex on the same document after adding commands to
create section-level tables of contents, using "minitoc.sty".  After
executing latex four times, no section-level tables of contents
appeared.  texlive uses minitoc.sty version 43.

On my normal machine, which runs Etch "testing" and has tetex
installed and uses minitoc.sty version 40, the section-level tables of
content are generated, but some of the page numbers are off by one or
two; it appears that the section-level tables are not being updated
from the main table of contents (in which the page numbering is
correct).  But these problems likely have been corrected since version
40; and the release of version 50 of minitoc.sty is imminent.

So now my task is to figure out how to install version 49 or 50 of
minitoc.sty in texlive.

%%%%%

Regarding texlive vs. tetex: It appears that tetex is to be abandoned
for want of an upstream maintainer, and that Debian is migrating to
texlive.

I found much good information on www.tug.org and www.tex.ac.uk.  In
particular, I found "Debian-specific information about TeX packages",
which is dated 2006-11-03.

RLH