Re: orientation with respect to tex, auctex, tetex, texlive, etc.

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:07:51AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> I just discovered a May 2006 announcement by Thomos Esser that he has
> decided not to make additional new releases of teTeX; he recommends
> that those interested in teTeX join the TeXlive project.
>
> For me, this announcement brings up the question of how teTeX, aucTeX,
> TeXlive, etc., relate to the realm of TeX.  I Googled for a while, but
> I found no document which provides an overview showing the role served
> by the various packages.
>
> >From Synaptic, it appears that my recent installation of Etch is using
> tetex, and that neither auctex or texlive are installed.
>
> I have been using LaTeX for five years, but with Debian I always have
> taken the system for granted -- it always has been there, and it "Just
> Works".
>
> Is this going to change in the near future?  Where can I go for a
> basic orientation and for more information on the options which are
> available to me?

Thanks for the question.  I have tried out Texlive and I could not
compile some of my older Tetex documents and some of the things I was
used to just did not work.  Unfortunately I can't remember the details
now. At that time I just removed Texlive and went back to Tetex - and
everything worked as usual.

I would also want to get clarity about the future of LaTeX on Debian.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to
      all that call upon him in truth."
                                   Psalms 145:18