Re: Laptop choice?

Sebastian,

Baz wrote:
> Which model was it?  If it's any relief, my model is three months old and
> I'm having the some of the same problems.

Sorry, I should have written that more clearly. The other laptop was NOT
a Thinkpad. It was a Transtec laptop (I don't recall the model, by now
at least all important things work).

> Don't the developers know?  Do
> they even care?  or are they just elitists?

Which developers? The salespeople of the other brand should know how to
configure linux, but they charge an extra fee for it and don't post that
kind of information. The effort is mainly to find out what hardware and
how it is supported. I didn't want to give the impression that it is any
more difficult to install debian vs suse. I'm quite sure it involves the
same kind of effort.

As far as the debian developers are concerned: They care!

My message is simple: search for information on your particular laptop
*before* you buy it. Usually stuff published by linux users will stay
there for a while and it will make things more easy for you. If there is
no/little information already available, be prepared to invest an
unpredictable amount of effort. Be prepared that many things won't work
out of the box. Be prepared that some things might not work (yet).

YMMV,
Johannes