skype w/ usb audio device

Hello. I set up Skype, with a usb audio device, for the homeless in a shelter that I work in. This is useful, because people can contact family and/or friends whom they may otherwise not have been able to contact. I set this up on Debian Etch.

However, I find the volume settings are constantly changing on the usb audio device. It becomes mute, or the levels open too high causing distortion, etc. Is there a way to stop the volume levels of a usb audio device from changing? It seems to change on it's own.

If there's any other diagnostic material/information that you need before being able to make a suggestion, just let me know.

Thanks,

Mark