Re: Dirty spam

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:09:02 +0800
Tim Post <tim.post@netkinetics.net> wrote:

> Did it even make a dent? I've been thinking about trying it. Even
> catching 5% is still 50k less spam e-mails delivered on a larger
> network .. so I may get a little more use out of it even if its only got
> a 2/10 catch record.

SA with little or no extra configuration (with libdns added in) seems
to make a pretty good dent, actually. BUt the spam these days is so
voluminous. As an example, there's one place that's sending stock spam
emails with every first name one can think of as separate messages, and
SA isn't catching those. But my caughtspam file is at present over 9
megabytes, and I usually zero it every couple of days.

I don't always get around to downloading the mail from tsoft.com (since
it is mostly spam anyway) so I might do a fetchmail maybe once or twice
a day like when I get home from work. Last night - nearly six
megabytes, probably because I didn't get home from work until late on
Tuesday, so didn't manage to check it that day.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.