Re: How can I update the pkg lists on a non-networked debian?

* Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> [061123 01:52]:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 19:24:53 -0800, Jed R. Mallen wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have a non-networked debian box at home and a high-bandwidth XP box at work.
> >
> >I want to upgrade my Debian box.
> >
> >apt-zip says it can upgrade a non-networked box, but you have to have
> >an updated pkg list for this to work.
>
> You can manually download the package files and stick them in
> /var/lib/apt/lists.  The easiest thing is of course to have a second
> machine that is networked.

At the cost of burning a set of possibly as many as 15 CDs or 3 DVDs:

(1) Start by downloading and installing jigdo-easy on the XP machine.

    http://debian.hands.com/~costar/jigdo/

(2) Use jigdo-easy to download to your XP machine a set of DVD images.

NOTE: If your Debian machine has only a CD drive, it is easy to use
jigdo-easy to make a set of CD images from a set of DVD images.  But
when downloading, it is much easier to get or update 3 DVD images than
it is to get or update 15 CD images.

(3) Whenever you wish to upgrade the machine at home, run jigdo-easy
on the XP machine to update the images, then burn a set of DVDs (or
make a set of CD images and burn a set of CDs).

(4) On the Debian machine, Use apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic to
upgrade the installation, using the DVDs or CDs as the source.

RLH