Re: Strange system behavior...KDE/GNOME Problem.

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your time.

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 16:31, Kevin Mark wrote:

 <snip>

> > Then, when I run "startx", it starts GNOME.
> >
> > My default runlevel is 2 and my '/etc/X11/default-display-manager' file
> > has got a single line saying "kdm" .
> >
> > I have no clue whats's wrong!
> > Anybody with similar problems??
>
> Hi Amit.
> I'd try to debug the startkde script and see what's happening.
> bash -x /path/to/startkde>
> Do you have any .X* or .x* files?

Not sure what this exactly means, but I'd try to give you the output of that
command.
Aah..and if you mean any custom made .x files..nope..I haven't made any!
Neither edited any.

debian:~# bash -x /usr/bin/startkde 2> err
debian:~# cat err
+ trap 'echo GOT SIGHUP' HUP
+ kcheckrunning
+ test -z ''
+ xsetroot -solid '#000000'
xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
+ unset DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE
++ echo /usr/bin/startkde
++ sed -n 's,^\(/.*\)/[^/][^/]*$,\1,p'
+ bindir=/usr/bin
+ '[' -n /usr/bin ']'
+ case $PATH in
+ kdehome=/root/.kde
+ test -n ''
+ mkdir -m 700 -p /root/.kde
+ mkdir -m 700 -p /root/.kde/share
+ mkdir -m 700 -p /root/.kde/share/config
+ cat
+ kstartupconfig
+ test 0 -ne 0
+ . /root/.kde/share/config/startupconfig
++ kcminputrc_mouse_cursortheme=
++ kcminputrc_mouse_cursorsize=
++ kpersonalizerrc_general_firstlogin=false
++ ksplashrc_ksplash_theme=Default
++ kcmrandrrc_display_applyonstartup=false
++ kcmfonts_general_forcefontdpi=0
+ test -n '' -o -n ''
+ test false = true
+ test false '!=' true
+ case "$ksplashrc_ksplash_theme" in
+ test 0 -eq 120
+ test 0 -eq 96
++ kde-config --path exe
++ tr : '\n'
+ exepath='/root/.kde/bin/
/usr/bin/'
++ echo '/root/.kde/bin/
/usr/bin/'
++ sed -n -e 's,/bin[^/]*/,/env/,p'
+ for prefix in '`echo "$exepath" | sed -n -e '\''s,/bin[^/]*/,/env/,p'\''`'
+ for file in '"$prefix"*.sh'
+ test -r '/root/.kde/env/*.sh'
+ for prefix in '`echo "$exepath" | sed -n -e '\''s,/bin[^/]*/,/env/,p'\''`'
+ for file in '"$prefix"*.sh'
+ test -r '/usr/env/*.sh'
+ usr_odir=/root/.fonts/kde-override
+ usr_fdir=/root/.fonts
+ kde_fontpaths=/root/.fonts/fontpaths
+ do_usr_fdir=1
+ do_usr_odir=1
+ test -r /root/.fonts/fontpaths
+ test -n ''
+ sys_odir=/share/fonts/override
+ sys_fdir=/share/fonts
+ test -d /share/fonts/override
+ test 1 -eq 1
+ test -d /root/.fonts/kde-override
+ test 1 -eq 1
+ test -d /root/.fonts
+ test -d /share/fonts
+ xset fp rehash
xset:  unable to open display ""
+ xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
+ test -n ''
+ GS_LIB=/root/.fonts
+ export GS_LIB
+ lnusertemp tmp
+ lnusertemp socket
+ lnusertemp cache
+ dcopserver_shutdown
+ echo 'startkde: Starting up...'
startkde: Starting up...
+ test false = true
+ case "$ksplashrc_ksplash_theme" in
+ ksplash --nodcop
ksplash: cannot connect to X server
+ KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
+ export KDE_FULL_SESSION
+ xprop -root -f KDE_FULL_SESSION 8t -set KDE_FULL_SESSION true
xprop:  unable to open display ''
usage:  xprop [-options ...] [[format [dformat]] atom] ...

where options include:
    -grammar                       print out full grammar for command line
    -display host:dpy              the X server to contact
    -id id                         resource id of window to examine
    -name name                     name of window to examine
    -font name                     name of font to examine
    -remove propname               remove a property
    -set propname value            set a property to a given value
    -root                          examine the root window
    -len n                         display at most n bytes of any property
    -notype                        do not display the type field
    -fs filename                   where to look for formats for properties
    -frame                         don't ignore window manager frames
    -f propname format [dformat]   formats to use for property of given name
    -spy                           examine window properties forever

+ LD_BIND_NOW=true
+ start_kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup
kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
+ test 0 -ne 0
+ test -n ''
+ test -n ''
+ kwrapper ksmserver
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
ksmserver: cannot connect to X server
+ test 1 -eq 255
+ dcop
ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
+ grep -q '^drkonqi-'
+ echo 'startkde: Shutting down...'
startkde: Shutting down...
+ kdeinit_shutdown
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
+ dcopserver_shutdown --wait
+ artsshell -q terminate
+ echo 'startkde: Running shutdown scripts...'
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
++ echo '/root/.kde/bin/
/usr/bin/'
++ sed -n -e 's,/bin[^/]*/,/shutdown/,p'
+ for prefix in '`echo "$exepath" |
sed -n -e '\''s,/bin[^/]*/,/shutdown/,p'\''`'
++ ls /root/.kde/shutdown/
++ egrep -v '(~|\.bak)$'
+ for prefix in '`echo "$exepath" |
sed -n -e '\''s,/bin[^/]*/,/shutdown/,p'\''`'
++ ls /usr/shutdown/
++ egrep -v '(~|\.bak)$'
+ unset KDE_FULL_SESSION
+ xprop -root -remove KDE_FULL_SESSION
[...]

+ echo 'startkde: Done.'
startkde: Done.

> Also, what about if you do thing:
> su
> <type password>
> /etc/init.d/kdm restart

Yes. I tried doing this, but i didn't use the restart option. I just
used "start" and "stop" and "start" ..but nothing happened!

Doing a restart certainly starts kdm. But the problem persists everytime I
login to GNOME.

--
Regards,
Amit.

Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!