Strange system behavior...KDE/GNOME Problem.

I don't know what is wrong with my system. I have a system running Debian
Testing with the 2.6.17-2 kernel and things were just fine, unless I
installed GNOME.

As such, the system works absolutely fine, and both KDE and GNOME work
flawlessly. But the real problem is when i try to switch users and/or switch
between these Desktop Environments.

I am running KDE 3.5.5 and GNOME 2.14.3

To be more specific about the problem, while the system boots up, I get the
normal KDM Login Screen. Then I select whatever DE I want to use. But once I
am done, and log out, it directly takes me to the console. This time, I don't
see the KDM Login Screen. And then, typing "kdm" at the command line doesn't
do any good. Nothing happens! Then I try to run "startkde". It gives me the
following output.

> xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
> xset:  unable to open display ""
> xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
> startkde: Starting up...
> xprop:  unable to open display ''
> usage:  xprop [-options ...] [[format [dformat]] atom] ...
>
> where options include:
>     -grammar                       print out full grammar for command line
>     -display host:dpy              the X server to contact
>     -id id                         resource id of window to examine
>     -name name                     name of window to examine
>     -font name                     name of font to examine
>     -remove propname               remove a property
>     -set propname value            set a property to a given value
>     -root                          examine the root window
>     -len n                         display at most n bytes of any property
>     -notype                        do not display the type field
>     -fs filename                   where to look for formats for properties
>     -frame                         don't ignore window manager frames
>     -f propname format [dformat]   formats to use for property of given
> name -spy                           examine window properties forever
>
> ksplash: cannot connect to X server
> kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> ksmserver: cannot connect to X server
> ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
> startkde: Shutting down...
> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> xprop:  unable to open display ''
> usage:  xprop [-options ...] [[format [dformat]] atom] ...
>
> where options include:
>     -grammar                       print out full grammar for command line
>     -display host:dpy              the X server to contact
>     -id id                         resource id of window to examine
>     -name name                     name of window to examine
>     -font name                     name of font to examine
>     -remove propname               remove a property
>     -set propname value            set a property to a given value
>     -root                          examine the root window
>     -len n                         display at most n bytes of any property
>     -notype                        do not display the type field
>     -fs filename                   where to look for formats for properties
>     -frame                         don't ignore window manager frames
>     -f propname format [dformat]   formats to use for property of given
> name -spy                           examine window properties forever
>
> startkde: Done.

Then, when I run "startx", it starts GNOME.

My default runlevel is 2 and my '/etc/X11/default-display-manager' file has
got a single line saying "kdm" .

I have no clue whats's wrong!
Anybody with similar problems??
--
Regards,
Amit.

Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!