To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:16 AM
Subject: Weird Upgrade procedure - Debian Testing.

While trying to upgrade my Debian Testing system, it shows me a horde of
packages that could be upgraded. But take a look at the bottom of this output where it mentions the size et al. The size of the _to_be_fetched_ packages is
227MB, while it is gonna use around 1.5MB of disk-space??

Kinda weird..I don't understand. I would simply download the single 1.5MB
Package, right?

Anybody experiencing similar problems?

I tried the same with aptitude, with the same results.

debian:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
 amarok amarok-engines amarok-xine gnupg
 apt-listbugs bootsplash-theme-debian bsdutils cdrdao console-common
console-data dash dbus dctrl-tools dictionaries-common discover1
discover1-data dvd+rw-tools exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
gettext-base gnome-mime-data grep grep-dctrl grub hdparm
 iptables kappfinder kate kcontrol kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-data
kdebase-kio-plugins kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdepasswd kdeprint
 kdesktop kdm kfind khelpcenter kicker klibc-utils klipper kmenuedit
konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kopete kpager kpersonalizer
ksmserver ksplash ksysguard ksysguardd ktip ktorrent kwin libavahi-client3
libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
 libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libavahi-qt3-1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common
libdbus-1-3 libdbus-glib-1-2 libdiscover1 libgl1-mesa-dri
 libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 libhttp-access2-ruby1.8 libklibc libkonq4
 libkrb53 libmysqlclient15off libneon26 libsmbclient libsoup2.2-8 libsvga1
libsysfs2 libtunepimp3 libvolume-id0 libx11-6 libx11-data mdadm
 mkisofs modconf mount mysql-client mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common
mysql-server mysql-server-5.0 nano openoffice.org openoffice.org-base
 openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-java-common
 openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-writer python-central python-support
python-uno svgalibg1 ttf-dejavu ttf-opensymbol udev update-inetd
util-linux w32codecs wodim x-window-system-core x11-common xorg xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
 xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-mga xutils
126 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 227MB of archives.
After unpacking 1412kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

--
Regards,
Amit.

Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!