Re: disable tooltips in etch

* Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> [061122 00:52]:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 02:02:45PM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > I have been unable to discover how to disable tooltips in X in Debian
> > Etch.  In particular, I need to disable the rectangular yellow box
> > which appears when the mouse cursor rests upon any of the window
> > selector buttons at the bottom of the screen.
>
> AFAIK this is DE/WM specific. Look in the specific options of
> Gnome/KDE, ... For IceWM there are some options in the
> '~.icewm/preferences' file.

I Googled, but all I found was what appears to be a solution for KDE and one for
Gnome with WindowMaker.

I combed through the gconf tree, but I did not found anything which
appeared to be related.

The menus simply are too obnoxious and bothersome not to have given
rise to complaints from others also.  After clicking one of the window
selection boxes, the tooltip obscures the portion of the screen in
which new commands are entered in the X-terminal, and the minibuffer
of XEmacs.  In any list of ill-conceived "features", tooltips are near
the top of the list.

But surely there must be a switch in Gnome or in MetaCity to disable
them?

RLH