Re: echo/sed combination inserts extra characters

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 12:39:26PM -0500, Jesus Arocho wrote:
} I want to rename a series of photo files downloaded from a camera; the intent
} is to append the date to the beginning of the file name.  The relevant lines
} are:
}
} newdir=`date +%F | sed 's/-//g'` #newdir used to make the directory and to
} rename the files.
}
} new=??`echo $i | sed -e 's/_//'` # strip the current file name of the underline
} in the middle dsc_0001.jpg to dsc0001.jpg
}
} mv -f $i $newdir'_'$new  #rename the current file
}
} The resulting file name may contain an extraneous character (does not print)
} located just after the _ ; as if the echo/sed combination had added a
} character.  The processing continues because the loop is selecting all jpg or
} nef files, but trying to do something with the file from the command line
} results in file not found.  I can see the extra character in konqueror.

Various people have suggested how to rename things already, but I'll point
out that you aren't using date to its fullest to begin with:

newdir=`date +%Y%m%d_`

No need for sed in that one.

--Greg