Re: D-Bus error trying to run gaim AND how do i ensure better upgrades?

On Saturday 18 November 2006 02:11, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 15:50:33 -0800, tom arnall wrote:

> > > Maybe dbus is not running. What happens if you try
> > >
> > > /etc/init.d/dbus start
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > /etc/init.d/dbus restart
> > >
> > > ?

> > > Install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges or stay with stable.
>
> [...]
>
> > is there an easy way to go back to stable from testing? the stuff i've
> > seen on google so far is not encouraging in this regard.
>
> Downgrading is "not supported". This means that you have to figure out
> lots of things yourself which are normally taken care of by apt and the
> careful considerations of the package maintainers. There is a simple
> practical reason why downgrades are done so rarely: The people who know
> Debian well enough to pull off a successful downgrade are also capable
> of keeping a testing/unstable system up and running. If, on the other
> hand, you have repeated problems with testing then it is almost certain
> that you will run into serious trouble with the downgrade. Another point
> is that reinstalling stable can normally be done faster than
> downgrading even if you have a black belt in Debian-Fu.
>
> That being said, I would not go back to Sarge now. Etch is almost
> release-ready anyway, so you just need to make sure that your
> sources.list points to Etch explicitly (and not "testing") and you will
> have a "stable" system with minimum hassle if you do another upgrade
> when Etch is released in about a month (fingers crossed).
>
> For now, to fix the dbus issue, check for error messages when you
> restart dbus and make sure that the /var/lib/dbus/machine-id file is
> created. Post you findings here if you cannot make sense of them
> yourself.
>
> --

i had the initial problem with the dbus restart until i did it as root and
indeed this put an end to the dbus error when i start gaim. but i've still
got the libpangocairo error and gaim disappears when i try to use it. but i
installed 'kopete' and it works well.

thanks for the info on Etch. this is light at the end of the tunnel. things
are tolerable as long as there is hope. ;.) i'm just going to ignore the gaim
problem and other mosquitos until after i've done the upgrade after the Etch
release.

tom arnall
north spit, ca
usa