Re: ViewSonic Widescreen and resolution settings

Dave Bellows wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just got a new ViewSonic VG2230 widescreen LCD monitor for my Debian
> Testing box.  After I installed it I ran "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
> xserver-xorg".  It seemingly correctly configured xorg.conf for a
> resolution of 1680x1050 as recommended by the booklet that came with
> the monitor.  However, when I started up X the vertical is off.
> There's about 2 inches of extra screen space at the top so that when I
> move the mouse cursor up to the top of the screen the whole screen
> shifts and I lose my bottom taskbar (KDE).

You should be able to do the natural resolution of the monitor
with no problems. (That way you get the shapest image).  What you
describe is what you get when you have a larger virtual screen running
on
a smaller physical moniter.

> Also, the screen is huge.  I'd never really notice what letters looked
> like before.  There's a certain fuzziness around each of the letters
> on the screen that I think is related to anti-aliasing perhaps.  It's
> fairly noticeable though I imagine I could get used to it.  Again, is
> there a setting somewhere that would improve the look?

Huge is a relative term. Try running a 30" (2560x1600) moniter. But the
fuzzieness could be from running a LCD at other than its natural
resolution.