Re: Mount ext2/ext3 as specific user at system start?

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
On Wednesday 15 November 2006 20:48, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 08:28:27PM -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
So your sample line in /etc/fstab will look like
/dev/sda1 /home/user/partition auto user,auto,exec 0 0

The above line is untested so try it only after reading all the relevant
manual pages.
That will not fix his problem.  Since it will automatically mount at
boot, it will be mounted by root.  That means that only root will be
able to unmount it.  Of course, this will not fix any of the ownership
issues.

Thanks Roberto! I use

/dev/sda1       /home/user/partition  auto    user,noauto,exec     0      0

to allow the users to mount the USB drive. I did not think of all the consequences of changing noauto to auto.

sorry for the noise.

raju

What about the uid,gid options in mount. my fstab for a vfat shared windows partition is

/dev/sda6 /mnt/Windowsdat vfat rw,user,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=002 0 2

and it's mounted a boot with user and group ownership I want.

These options are not available on all fs types I think.

HTH

Wackojacko