Re: Need to remove a ghost file, but can't because it doesn't exist

On 2006-11-15 @ 22:27:03 (week 46) Mike McCarty wrote:

> OTOH, something is there. Try using
>
> # lsof

Ah, hadn't thought of lsof or fuser yet. Good reminder, thanks!

I tried both but lsof didn't list the file as being used and fuser
couldn't find the file at all ("No such file or directory").

> He probably has a file which has been deleted, but which
> some process still has open. This causes the directory
> entry to be marked "for deletion", but for the allocation
> not to be released to free space until the last process
> has closed the file.

That's exactly what I thought when you mentioned lsof, but that doesn't
seem to be the case here.

I am gonna do one more thing (looking in /proc for any references to
that file). But at the moment I think that maybe this is some corruption
in the filesystem (ReiserFS). In that case running reiserfsck might
help. I am hoping...

Thanks for taking the time.

Grx HdV