Re: GPL Java

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 06:43:41PM +0100, Nicolas Pillot wrote:
> Sorry, i sent it to the poster, not the list.
>
> 2006/11/15, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>:
> >> If I understand that correctly, the question is if the logo is DFSG free.
> >> If it is not, Debian would have to remove it, but that seems to not be
> >> allowed by the trademark use guidelines.
> >
> >Er... don't tell me i understand it the right way, but the way i
> >understand it is that Java will be GPL thus freely sharable, but the
> >logo is not, and if it is not it cannot be shipped with Debian, and
> >removing the logo is forbidden by the trademark use guideline ?
> >
> >ie. no java on any distro, because of a stoopid logo ?
> >
> >Please tell me i'm wrong...

Look at this situation more positively. Not so long ago, Sun paid
absolutely no attention to GPL. Now they hope to gain public credit by
pretending to supporting it.  Maybe in a little while they will figure
out a business strategy that allows them to actually support GPL. They
seem to be moving in the right direction, but they still have a way to
go.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net