Re: GPL Java

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 04:02, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> Okay, so Java's GPL'd now: http://www.sun.com/2006-1113/feature/index.jsp
> (Also http://java.net/ )
>
> How soon will we see packages in main at long last? Granted, a buildable
> JDK isn't expected until Spring of next year...

I'm going to be a real stinker here and offer my guess: never.  My first
thought when I read the announcement was: "Great, it can now be included as
the default JVM in Linux, Debian included."  But then I quickly returned to
reality and remembered the whole trademark and DFSG thing.  While Sun
released the *code* as GPL, I'm sure to be called Java, it will have to
follow certain parameters.  If that simply means passing a test suite, then
including it in Debian might be possible, but if it means Sun approving all
the patches, approving binaries, etc, then we'll probably end up with
IcedLatte, or some such "almost Java" package.

But...I could be wrong, and honestly do hope I am.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111