Re: GPL Java

On 11/14/06, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

Last I heard, you could only use the mane "Java" if you followed Sun's
spec.  That was the core of their lawsuit with Microsoft.  But they
nevet, to my knowledge required anything but conformance to a spec,
never line-by-line approval of code changes.  This if it no longer
conforms to spec, you have to change the name.  Has that changed?  Is
that acceptable under DFSG?

-- hendrik

Well, I am no expert, but here is part of Sun's trademark policy
(from http://www.sun.com/policies/trademarks/#10e3):

3. No Re-Logoing, Co-Logoing, or Logo Removal.

Resellers of Sun products may never alter or modify the Sun corporate
logo or Sun trademarks that are affixed to or appear on the Sun products
they resell. Similarly, re-logoing (replacing a Sun trademark with the
reseller's logo or mark) and co-logoing (adding the reseller's logo or mark
to the Sun product) are not permitted in the absence of a written agreement
with Sun.

If I understand that correctly, the question is if the logo is DFSG free.
If it is not, Debian would have to remove it, but that seems to not be
allowed by the trademark use guidelines.

If the logo is not free now, maybe they will make it free, or maybe they
will change the trademark requirements. I don't know anything about
code review requirements or lack thereof.

I expect a lively debate on debian-legal sometime between now and March :-)
(and maybe on past March as well)

Nate Duehr said:
little triangle shaped guy

That's Duke.