Re: exim4: how to handle other addresses on my ISP?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 01:39:21AM -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble configuring exim4.  My situation -- that is, what I
> want exim4 to do -- *can't* be that unusual; so I'm sure I'm missing
> something fairly obvious.  But I've played around with exim4's
> configuration via "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" a zillion times and
> cannot get there.  I've Googled and skimmed the exim4 FAQ without much
> success yet -- lots of stuff, but nothing that looks obviously like
> the solution here.  Next up is digging into the exim4 specification in
> detail. I really don't want to that if I don't have to -- I mean, if
> that's what I have to do to solve this problem, I will; but I'm hoping
> that I'm just missing something with "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config"
> and this can be solved more easily than skipping sleep, since right now
> I'm effectively working 15 hours a day and sleeptime is pretty much the
> only free time I have anymore.
>
> Here's my situation and what I want:
>
> 1.  I have a machine with no domain of its own, in the sense that I
> haven't registered a domain or anything like that.  My ISP is
> speakeasy.net.  Outgoing email goes to a smarthost.  Incoming email
> is pulled in by fetchmail and handed off to exim4.
>
> 2.  Various users on this machine have email adresses registered with
> the ISP of the form some_user_name@speakeasy.net.  When one of my
> local users sends an outgoing email, exim4 appends "@speakeasy.net"
> to the local username.
>
> 3.  Likewise, if you were to send email to one_of_my_users@speakeasy.net,
> fetchmail on my machine should eventually grab it and pass it to exim4 here.
> This apparently means that when I've configured exim4 using dpkg-
> reconfigure, I need to tell exim4 that "speakeasy.net" should be added to
> the list of domains for which this machine should consider itself the final
> destination.  If I don't do that, then when exim4 receives from fetchmail
> an email for one_of_my_users@speakeasy.net, exim4 immediately passes that
> email back on to the ISP's smarthost (because we aren't a final destination
> for "@speakeasy.net"), and around and around we go.

I think the problem may lie in your fetchmail configuration.  Have
you got something like:

user jim@speakeasy.net password abcdef is jim here
in .fetchmailrc?

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)