Courier authmysql does not query DB

I'm trying to integrate courier-imap with my msyql based virtual
domain/user setup.

The problem that I am having is that whenever I activate the
MYSQL_SELECT_CLAUSE, the database is not queried. A connection to the
database server is still established, but no query is made. When NOT
using the MYSQL_SELECT_CLAUSE, the database _is_ queried (I'm logging
all queries, so it shows up in the mysql query log), but not in the way
that I need.

This is my authmysqlrc:

MYSQL_SERVER    mysql.hrcsb.org
MYSQL_USERNAME  mail
MYSQL_PASSWORD  ********
MYSQL_PORT      3306
MYSQL_OPT       0
MYSQL_DATABASE  mail
MYSQL_SELECT_CLAUSE     SELECT account.username,\
                        account.crypt_password,\
                        account.password,\
                        account.uid,\
                        account.gid,\
                        CONCAT('/var/mail/', domain.name, '/'),\
                        account.maildir,\
                        account.quota,\
                        '',\
                        ''\
                        FROM account \
                        INNER JOIN domain ON account.domain_id = domain.name \
                        WHERE account.username = '$(local_part)'\
                        AND domain.name = '$(domain)'

I'm running debian sarge, and the debian package of courier-{imap,
authdaemon,authmysql}. The database is on a remote machine and is
running mysql 4.1

Any ideas/experience you might have would be very welcome.

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg